First dates are always difficult and nerve breaking, regardless of how much experience you have in the field. The fear of not knowing what is going to happen and how that other person is going to be will make you an easy prey as long as you don’t learn how to control your emotions. What is great is that there are so many experts willing to share advice on how to make first dates easier that you really have no excuses; do the additional reading, put the advice into practice and I can assure you that everything will turn out to be just fine. Here are some easy tips to guide you into the crazy world of dating.
- Choose the right location- The location of the first date plays an important role, believe it or not. It will basically set the tone of the date and help the other person create a first impression on you, good or bad. Something neutral, a non-pressure atmosphere type of location is the best choice you can make. Try a new coffee shop or a local bar instead of a fancy restaurant or dinner and movie. You don’t know whether you are going to click or not and believe me, you don’t want to realize that you don’t before the fancy dinner is served. Then you would be stuck at the table and the bill will be huge.
- Prepare for a good conversation. Engaging into a meaningful conversation is the most nerve wracking part of any first date, especially if you have social anxiety. You could prepare a few conversation topics from home, so you don’t get into a dark zone while at the date.
- Learn from the past- If you have some experience in the field and have had some bad dates, learn from those. Don’t repeat the same mistakes again.
- Present yourself nicely- Everybody will say that the soul is what matters the most but let’s admit it: it is the body that gives us the chemistry or not. If you present yourself nicely, then there is a bigger chance for some nice chemistry between the two of you.
- If you want to be interesting, then you also need to be interested. Really listen to what the other person is saying and allow him or her talk about themselves. Of course, you would love to talk just about yourself but the role of the first date is to help a relationship form. It takes two to form a relationship, so please don’t forget to be interested.
I know that these tips seem quite simple and I also know that putting them into practice is going to be much more difficult than you think. They might not work from the very first date but trust me, they will eventually work. You just have to let the information sink in and figure out how to apply it to the situations that you will be experiencing. You’ll surely find the right person for you; it is just a matter of time!